Shavuot Eve Study
May 16 – 4 PM-8:30 PM Eastern Time
Secular Humanistic Jews celebrate Shavuot with Jewish literature and ideas from all eras, not only the Torah, and we agree with the Talmud’s sages that “study leads to action.” Join Leaders and Rabbis in Secular Humanistic Judaism as they turn our Tikkun Leil Shavuot into Tikkun Olam/Repairing the world through learning experiences with people and organizations doing good here and now! REGISTER HERE.
Dr. Rachel Havrelock – Founder and director of the University of Illinois – Chicago Freshwater Lab, a humanities-based initiative focused on research, teaching, and public awareness about the Great Lakes. Associate Professor of English at UIC with additional focus on the Middle East and Biblical Literature.
Dr. Keren McGinity – Specialist in intermarriage and spokesperson against sexual harassment in Jewish organizations. Research associate at the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute at Brandeis University and Interfaith Specialist at United Synagogue for Conservative Judaism.
Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein – Theoretical physicist and feminist theorist, Assistant Professor of Physics and Core Faculty Member in Women’s Studies at the University of New Hampshire and author of The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime, and Dreams Deferred.
ADDITIONAL CONFIRMED PRESENTERS AS OF 4/19/2021
– Rabbi Susan Averbach – The Middle Way Society, blogs at https://rabbijubu.com/.
– Rabbi Greg Epstein – Humanist Chaplain at Harvard and MIT, Author of Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe.
– Rabbi Jeffrey Falick – Rabbi of The Birmingham Temple Congregation for Humanistic Judaism
– Paul Golin – Executive Director of the Society for Humanistic Judaism.
– Rabbi Denise Handlarski, Ph.D. – Rabbi of SecularSynagogue.com, Assistant Professor at Trent School of Education. Author of The A to Z of Intermarriage.
– Rebecca Ireland – Teenage social justice activist, Tri-Valley Cultural Jews
– Rabbi Jodi Kornfeld, Ph.D. – Rabbi of Beth Chaverim Humanistic Jewish Community.
– Rabbi Sivan Maas – Dean of Tmura-IISHJ, Jerusalem.
– Rabbi Shlomit Myers – Rabbi of Sicha-Ein Dor, Israel.
– Rabbi Judith Seid – Tri-Valley Cultural Jews