The goal of the officiant program is to train professionals who can create and lead meaningful Secular Humanistic Jewish celebrations of the life cycle. We want our officiants to model excellence in the Secular Humanistic Jewish approach to ceremonies.
The understanding of and ability to:
- Create, coordinate and deliver a Secular Humanistic Jewish life cycle ceremony including ceremonial writing and officiating;
- Basic ideas of Secular Humanistic Judaism and their appropriate application to our celebrations and observances, including historical roots and traditional Jewish observances of life cycles; and
- Philosophical guidance in matters concerning family dynamics and issues in executing life cycles.
- Member of the movement of Secular Humanistic Judaism for two years
- Interview with the Dean – North America of the IISHJ and a faculty member
- Application Completion (including a short essay)
- 2 references (one from certified/ordained clergy in Secular Humanistic Judaism and another who is a member of the movement)
- Application fee of $36. After completion of the program, an annual fee of $36 for certified life cycle officiants will be required.
Requirements for Graduation
(Fees are $100 per credit hour)
- SHJ 110 – Basic Ideas of Secular Humanistic Judaism (1 credit);
- JC 210 – Celebration of the Jewish Life Cycle (1 credit);
- PS 310 – Philosophic Guidance and Counseling Officiant Program (1 credit);
- PS 370 – Field Work for Officiant Program (1 credit)
Field Work for Officiant Program
Create a life cycle sampler under the direction of an IISHJ certified Leader or IISHJ Rabbi (can be text or video) of original or new compilations of one each of the following ceremonies: baby naming; bar/bat mitzvah; Secular Humanistic Jewish wedding or intercultural wedding; memorial, funeral and/or interment and/or ashes scattering .
Questions and Starting Application
Please contact the IISHJ office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-383-6330 for further information or to begin the application process.