Master’s Degree Program (50 total hours)
The IISHJ Master’s Degree Program (accreditation pending) was created to strengthen the knowledge base of leaders, educators, and musicians in our movement. It was also created to provide an advanced course of Jewish study for those who do not necessarily desire to be professionals in the Jewish world. IISHJ-trained Leaders/Madrikhim(ot)/Vegvayzer who complete this Master’s Degree program or any program leading to a Master’s Degree in Judaic Studies will also receive the title of Senior Leader/Moreh(at) Am.
- An undergraduate degree (not necessarily in Judaic Studies)
- Reading proficiency in Hebrew
- Completion of an application form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Interview with the Admissions Committee
For more information or to request an application, go to Admissions and Financial Aid.
Requirements for Graduation
- Completion of 47 credit hours of week-long seminars
- Completion of a Master’s Thesis (3 credit hours)
Seminars required for the Master’s Degree Program are generally offered during the summer in weeklong sessions.
- (JH 501)Ancient Jewish History and Biblical Literature I
- (JH 502)Ancient Jewish History and Biblical Literature 2
- (JH 511)Second Temple Jewish History and Literature 1
- (JH 512)Second Temple Jewish History and Literature 2
- (JH 521)Rabbinic and Medieval Jewish History and Literature
- (JH 522)Rabbinic and Medieval Jewish History and Literature
- (JH 531)Modern Jewish History 1
- (JH 532)Modern Jewish History 2
- (JC 501)Jewish Calendar, Holidays, Liturgy, and Celebration 1
- (JC 502)Jewish Calendar, Holidays, Liturgy and Celebration 2
- (JC 550)Cultural Traditions of the Jewish People – Ashkenazic Culture
- (JC 560)Cultural Traditions of the Jewish People – Sephardic Culture
- (JC 570)Cultural Traditions of the Jewish People – Israel Culture
- (JC 580)Cultural Traditions of the Jewish People – North American Jewish Culture
- (SHJ 400)Philosophy of Secular Humanistic Judaism
- (SHJ 501)History of Secular Humanistic Judaism 1
- (SHJ 502)History of Secular Humanistic Judaism 2
The thesis requirement will be completed under the direction of a designated faculty member.